Monday, August 22, 2011

Homeschooling Day 1

Well, it went about as well as I expected. It is always a good idea to set high goals with low expectations when it comes to anything with children. (at least that's what I think).

Here are some thoughts from Providence:

"Schoolwork is stupid."
"At Kindergarten all they do is play. They don't work!"
"I am not gonna do this!"
"I am tired of this."
"I'm going to bed." (that was the end of the evening when I told her she could go to bed or finish her work)

There were some highlights:
-She had fun learning about spiders.
-When she went to play on the computer (we bartered a little) she picked starfall. Then she kept asking to learn about more and more letters. I couldn't say no.

It will get better, I know. She will learn that mama means business. It's funny because she's upset that she isn't at school and Jackson is upset that he isn't at home. All he really told us was that first grade was boring and a lot of sitting, but PE was fun.

We started our day at the playground. I had to drive to two because Providence wanted to see if there were other kids at the playground. She's ready for her homeschooling friends. (I am looking for some, playdate anyone?)


Atticus took his morning nap.


These two had fun playing together.


We had storytime when we got home. She pretended not to listen, but she enjoyed the book. Fynn lasted for about 3 pages before we had to work on sitting and listening. He made it through with some help and some protesting. It's a goal for Fynn, so we will keep working on it.

We started her science journal. She decorated her cover page in her SPIDERS section. We also labeled and practiced saying the parts of a spider. I think she will have those down in a week or so. We watched some YouTube videos on spiders, which she and Fynn both liked. Spider eating mouse was a favorite.

Fynn worked on his prepositions. We played hide the animals. Fynn gets silly very quickly, so I am still not quite sure what he knows and what he doesn't.


In math, her workbook is mostly review. She breezed right through it, especially after I told her chocolate milk was on hold until she finished. Fynn and I worked on colors and patterns.

We did bible after Jackson got home. We talked about the armor of God. I found these cool printables on this website. I have only browsed the printables and crafts, so I am not making any promises about content. I liked what I saw in the coloring pages and crafts and it's all free. I think I will keep using it.



Reading and writing are the big trouble spots and we tried again at night. It went okay for about 5 minutes and then she was done. We will keep working on it. I did get her to write her name and some Ss for me. I would call it a small success.

I think it did reinforce why we decided to keep her home. With 21 other kids in the class, a teacher just doesn't have the time to make Providence do anything. Providence is perfectly happy not doing anything, unless she is made. It's a bad combination.


No comments:

Post a Comment