Thursday, September 15, 2011

Cutting, Math and S'Mores

I will say it again. These printables rock. I love them. We have been going through her camping set and decided we should make S'mores.

Yummy!

Look at my little boy cutting! Providence has been able to use scissors fairly well for a while, now. You know why? Because I let her use scissors alone. (Okay, so yes, her hair has been cut twice). Fynn is on his way to cutting things out alone, too. It's a terrible picture, but he cut that nice little pile all alone!



Providence has been using Horizons Math from Alpha and Omega. I bought the two workbooks from Amazon because they were a little cheaper. I skipped the teacher book, because I can teach Kindergarten math. I think it would be good to get if you had no idea how to go about introducing concepts, but I feel comfortable doing that.

I think it is great for Kindergarten and for Providence. The pages are bright and colorful and she doesn't feel overwhelmed by them. Right now, we are mostly reviewing counting and writing numbers. There are a few new concepts coming up that we will be working on. The books picks up pretty quickly and has kids adding two digit and one digit numbers together. It looks like it is based on using a number line, which is great.

This book probably resembles what kids do in school. Old concepts are reviewed frequently through out the book, which I like. New concepts are introduced at a reasonable pace that works for my child. Even if I were to switch to something else later, I think I would consider these workbooks for practice for older kids.

I like it because it just gives us direction and I don't mind worksheets. I am sure there a plenty of people out there that don't like (and I don't think I would use it for Jackson). The beauty of homeschooling is that you can get what works for you and works for each child.

No comments:

Post a Comment